Monday, July 1, 2013

Yarn Shop Goodies & My Big Fat Greek Family




Just LOOK at my latest yarn shop goodies!  I was in St. Louis, Missouri visiting My Big Fat Greek Family, more on them later, and visited some local yarn shops.  In March, I posted about these yarn shops if you'd like to re-read.


Ewe Knit Yarns was the first stop for some Dyeabolical Strong Arm Skinny Sock Yarn in Firefly...love that name!   Gorgeous in red, black and yellow.
Julie, the shop owner took this pic for me for you to see it in hank form.  A bit dark, but you get the idea.  Totally different look when she so kindly "caked" it for me.  Julie is working on a book about the proper way to block your knitwear AND if blocking is not your favorite thing to do, she does offer that service in her shop!  How awesome is THAT?  Definitely will be buying her book as my blocking could use some help.

Lovely shop with chairs just calling all knitters and hookers to sit and clack or hook away.  Pets galore also in this LYS.  A couple dogs and a parrot hanging out with the locals and looking for treats!

Next stop, Kirkwood Knittery.  Beautiful shop with very helpful and nice staff.  Vibrant Universal Yarn Classic Shades in Tutti Fruitti.  I see a new shawl pattern in my future for these.  Also couldn't resist Classic Shades Sequins Lite in Antique Cobalt.  The photo doesn't show, but I bought 3 skeins of each.  Shop owner, Brooke, was so kind as to pop some Lavender Cuticle Balm in my bag.  No pic as it went right in my purse!

Then off to St. Charles, just outside of St. Louis.  THE quaintest town with little shops and restaurant galore!  Connie, at Knit and Caboodle on Main Streets carries all the favs.  Cascade Yarns Cascade 220 in a charcoal heather will also be a shawl as I am missing that color in my shawl wardrobe!  Something I have not seen is Smooshy Sock Yarn in Beach Fog.   It is by Dream In Color Yarn.  Perfect for jeans and light colored top.

I picked up these readers, in of all places, a flower shop!  You know the kind.....some jewelry and bits in the back of the shop.  I needed to bump up the vision to 3.00 on the readers and I LOVE the reader shades.

Ok, now a little bit about my family....if you don't mind.  My dad is first generation Greek, raised in St. Louis, and my mom is from Scotland.  VERY ethnic upbringing.  Greek family functions are huge to say the least.

My pop is the youngest of 7 and they all had 3 kids, my cousins. Add Yia Yia and Papou (Greek for Grandmother and Grandfather).  Then, there is the occasional cousin of theirs thrown in.  Then you add your Godparents and their kids if they are not of the immediate family.  All 40 or so gathering in small houses for the holidays.  I'm talking about 1950's and 60's.  Greek food, Greek dancing, speaking Greek.  Cigars, drinks and lots of laughter.  It was GREAT!

Now we are all married, many of us to other Greeks,  and have kids and some of those kids have kids!  Big Fat Greek Weddings, Big Fat Greek Baptisms, Big Fat Greek Funerals and Big Fat Greek Holidays.  It's THE BEST!

Well, I could go on about names and traditions, but I fear you will not reach the end of the post!  If you read about my family, I thank you very much.  My poor mother's side is left out today.  Posting about the Scottish side another day.

Best,
Sheila

Click here for Dyeabolical site

Click here for Ewe Knit Yarns site

Click here for Kirkwood Knittery site

Click her for Dream In Color Yarn Shop

Follow on Bloglovin


5 comments:

  1. Ooh, wonderful yarny goodies! I have yarn envy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a blessing to have family! My husband and I had icons and our wedding crowns from a Greek monastery in Quebec, so I know how wonderful these things can be!

    Have fun with that great new bunch of yarn! looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love my crowns! We actually had more people at the wedding than at the reception. Who ever heard of that before! So many wanted to see a Greek wedding!

      Best,
      Sheila

      Delete
  3. Lovely yarns. I've used the Universal Yarns Classic Shades and love the colors! It's a bit splitty, and a pain if you have to rip back (clings to itself!), but the results are really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. It's nice to have someone chime in on what a yarn is like when knitting something up.

      Best,
      Sheila

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...