Monday, August 19, 2013

State Fair Blue Ribbon Yarny Goodness

I was at the Iowa State Fair over the weekend.  THE best state fair in the country.  Well, one of the top 5 anyway.  You know I had to see all the squishy, yarny goodness that were entered for a Blue Ribbon.  For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, the State Fair is held once a year and is a HUGE deal if you live in the midwest like I do.  Folks enter all kinds of competitions for the coveted Blue Ribbon.  Animals, flowers, miniature houses, photographs, woodworking, quilts, sewing etc.

Above, you will recognize from Ravelry, this gorgeous pattern by Tanya Beliak.  This won two ribbons, Best In Show and that coveted Blue Ribbon for 1st Place.
 You can also see, above, the Dreambird Shawl (the black shawl that looks like it has orange feathers) by Nadita Swings.  It, too, won a ribbon.  I also love the orange and black stunner in the middle!
 I am not a quilter, but I so admire them.  Look at all the beautiful colors!  The intricate detail of the quilt on the easel was unbelievable!  The photo does not do it justice.
 The chair above is needlepoint.  I have done many a needlepoint project along with knitting and crochet.  The detail on this entry was a joy to look at and admire.
I just had to share the above pic of the piglets!  Look at all those newborn squealers!  I'm not sure what's up with that little spotted piggy in the center, but isn't he/she just THE cutest?  


On a personal note...the above photo was taken in 1974 when I was in 8th grade and living in Des Moines, Iowa.  That's me, on the right, with my besties!  It was '50's day at the Jr. High...Middle School to you younger folks!  Here we are, together again in the below pic almost 40 years later.  

I haven't seen these two since I moved away in 1975.  We are older and wider, but fell right back into our groove like no time had passed.  Laughing, quite loudly, and reminiscing about things we did and places we went.  I would say something like....what ever happened to....and we would all say his name, first and last, at the same time, clutching our hands to our heart, remembering how we drooled over him in Jr. High.  

It was a great life back then and I cherish it today as some of the happiest years of my life!

Have a great week,
Sheila
Yarn tip!
* Circular needle cord in a twist? Dip the cord in hot water to soften and straighten them out!
Follow on Bloglovin

8 comments:

  1. Love the colors and the hombre effect. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on those ribbons! Your projects deserved them. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the state fair. We went to our local county fair a couple of weeks ago for my daughter to see the animals. She even got to "show" a sheep in the mini show. Congratulations on your blue ribbon! Last weeks YA I posted about my first ever knit that won a (I think blue) ribbon at the county fair when I was a youngster in 4H. Ah, good times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the newsy note! 4H....still a great organization!

      Best,
      Sheila

      Delete
  4. The blanket that won best is show and the blue ribbon is gorgeous! I hadn't run across it on Ravelry before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the best photo, which is my fault. The winner did a beautiful job and the pattern is available on Rav.

      Sheila

      Delete
  5. Some friends and I were just talking about heating cords to straighten them out the other day - our solution was to just leave them in the car for a few hours. It's a tad warm here in Texas just now. The Iowa fair looks like a lot of fun! I love whatever that rainbow rippled thing is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad I found your page. I love to read about all the creative things girls do! Love your past and present pics!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...