Monday, March 10, 2014

Crocodile Stitch Scarf in 50 Shades of Grey



The older I get, the more practical I get!  I'm not always sure if that is a good thing or not.  When I was younger, clothes were SO very important to me.  In my 20's I worked full time at our local courthouse as a bailiff for the county judges, so you had to be dressed professionally.  I adored straight skirts (as I was quite thin then), colorful blouses and jewelry.  It was the '80's after all!  Big shoulder pads, Disco, tons of color and big earrings!  Happy Hour was $1 pitchers and 25 cent draws.


Now I'm in my mid 50's and my closet is full of black, grey, white and the occasional colored top.  So, this Crocodile Stitch Scarf is right up my alley!  I adore this pattern from Bonita Patterns on Etsy, but I feel the full size scarf is just too bulky for large girl like my self.  Bulk on a plus size is NOT what we need.  I decided to make a smaller version of the pattern.  It looks a bit bib(ish) to me at the moment.  I think I'll add a tassel  at the point.  


Worn under the coat would be pretty, but I prefer my scarves and shawls on the outside of my jackets.  I've also added a button and just poked it through the other tail.  I think it looks nice worn either way.



Prism Sparkle from Mary Maxim in Cobblestone is lovely.  It is DK weight (3).  The photos do not do the yarn justice as you cannot see the bits of subtle sparkle.


This pattern is perfect for gradient yarns as it shows them off beautifully!


The cute little scissors I found on Etsy .  Quirkiest little thing and works perfectly.

Best,
Sheila

Edit date:  4-6-14....I used 4 skeins of Mary Maxim Prism Sparkle.  
Each skein is 290 Yards (265m)

Yarn Tip from Craftsy:

If you're substituting yarn from a pattern:
To figure out how many yards of your substituted yarn you'll need, calculate the total yardage from the pattern's yarn first.  Use this formula...Number of skeins x yardage per skein = total yardage needed for pattern.  
So, for example, if your pattern uses three skeins of yarn that each have 240 yards, then multiply three by 240 to get a total of720 yards.
Follow on Bloglovin

42 comments:

  1. Hello Sheila,
    My wardrobe is similar to yours, full of black, grey, white and the occasional colored top. Is it an age-thing?
    Anyway, your crocodile scarf to be look very beautiful, love the shades!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a really nice size for the scarf! Great job :)

    PS...love the scissors too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure the black, grey and white wardrobe is only an age thing, I'm in my mid-thirties and have the same choices in my closet, lol! I swore this spring I'd wear more colour, so we'll see how that goes!
    Love the crocodile stitch, it shows off that wool magnificently!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so pretty! I love the colors and the stitch. I really need to learn the crocodile stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pattern is so perfect for a gradient yarn. My mom wears mostly black and grey as well. I'm the rebel child with all the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Your scarf is spectacular. (For some reason I can see wearing this with a grey linen shift-style dress.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been a legal secretary since the 80's. Pencil skirts and high heels were my uniform. Now as I sit here today in the same job I wear black pants, grey sweaters and a purple hitchhiker in Mad Tosh Merino Light. My knitting is the only thing colorful and fun in my wardrobe. In my case the black pants are to make me look thinner. The huge shoulder pads were only cute when I was a size 4. Thanks for the blast from the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you love the Hitchhiker? I have made several, most of which I added charms to the 'teeth".

      Delete
  8. Sheila, I found your new design on Oombawka Design's Link & Share. It's beautiful! I agree that it's best not to do overkill with this design. I think you've got it just right and I love the shades of grey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your beautiful scarf on this week's Go Crochet Crazy "It's Finally Friday" Link-a-Long! http://gocrochetcrazy.blogspot.com/2014/03/its-finally-friday-link-long-at-go.html

      Delete
  9. Beautiful scarf. I'm in my 50s also and I make a conscious effort to add color as I have been told it makes you look younger. I still love black and grey though. Jeans seem to dominate my wardrobe also. I was a teacher in the 80s and I loved to dress professionally. I miss wearing dresses and skirts more often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice scarf/shawl. I have seen booties made out of the crocodile stitch and like them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all the lovely comments! Even though my wardrobe is darker in color, clearly, my knitting and crocheted squishy goodness is full of color!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in my 50's too and I love that I feel free to dress as I like (quirky or not). Your scarf is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is really beautiful and I love the colors! Great for dressy or casual. Beautiful workmanship!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a gorgeous scarf, great colours to go with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely scarf, I've just been checking out the crocodile stitch on some patterns, so please to see a finished item.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is an amazing pattern. The colors are perfect for the pattern. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice! How did you like the crocodile stitch i've heard mixed reviews. Some people love it and others find it hard to work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina, I love this pattern....a two row repeat. It is a yarn eater, however, I think the results are stunning. Once you get the hang of the pattern, it goes lickety split. A trip to YouTube to watch a video is VERY helpful.

      Delete
  18. Hello! I too wear mostly 50 shades of grey, black and white. It is a wise thing, not an age thing. I also prefer texture to colour - your scarf is a great example - the emphasis is on the pattern and yarn and the grey serves as a great vehicle and compliment. We travel a lot, and my wardrobe is compatible with the fashions observed in all the great cities of the world - I always end up looking like I belong. Ditto for the countryside. These wardrobe colours ooze pure class, not peacock ;-) and I take my outfits from coffee shops to art gallery to fine dining establishments by adjusting accessories. Even our house s grey and white . . .

    ReplyDelete
  19. Unglaublich schön !

    Glg von Sissi

    ReplyDelete
  20. Exactly the yarn I would have chosen. Just fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That´s amazing! A wonderful scarf! Love all the shades of grey!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, this scarf is spectacular! I love the colors! I can't imagine how much yarn that much crocodile stitching would take, though. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a yarn eater, but I think so well work it!

      Delete
  23. Gorgeous scarf. How many skeins of yarn in your version?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just beautiful! I know the original pattern calls for 1300 yards of yarn. How much yarn is needed for your shortened version?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used 4 skeins of Mary Maxim Prism Sparkle.
      Each skein is 290 Yards (265m)

      Delete
  25. Black, white and grey here too! More of a "I ant to look thinner" thing, but age could play a part too. Then again, my 16 year old daughter is all about black and white! We both love this scarf! She told me I have to learn the crocodile stitch now.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just beautiful love it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...