Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Luscious Yarn and a Custom Knitting Mug



I've been so very tardy in posting.......I don't know how some bloggers get it all done!  I think I just love to knit/crochet more than anything else.  Well, except traveling!  

My hubby and I took a little break from the frigid cold of the midwest, the day after Thanksgiving, to drive to Arizona where it was in the upper 70's the whole week!  A visit to a local yarn shop in Scottsdale was one of MY highlights.  The shop had a lovely staff, coffee, cookies and chairs for bored husbands!  You have to love them taking the time to "cake" your skeins too.  

Just look at the gorgeous deal I found!  Jessica Knits....and crochets had this Mango Moon in the sale bin.  It is hand dyed in Napal and provides safe shelter, health care and education to the women there.


150 yards for $11.00 is a good price, but, in the sale bin for $6.00 is a GREAT price.  I snatched them all up.  I bought one in Bluebell, three in Butter and two in Carnation.  Aren't they just gorgeous?  I've worked with this yarn before to make a giant rectangular shawl in a multi and it turned out lovely. I might do the same here.


We also had a tour of the Frank Lloyd Wright winter home there....Taliesin West.  For those of you who don't know who Wright is, I snapped this off of Wikipedia:


We took a wonderful tour of this home, which is now a school of architecture with the students living there.  He built this in the late 1900's and was extremely cutting edge when everything was so victorian in nature.  


If any of you remember this flower pillow post, I had the photo transferred to coffee mugs for a few Christmas prezzies!  


Walgreens had all their photo products half off, so I thought I'd see how they turned out.  I made four.  Keeping one for myself, giving one to my Scottish mom filled with tea bags and a gift card and one to one of my best girlfriends with a chocolate candle inside.  That leaves one extra for a future gift to someone.  I like how they turned out.


Super easy to do online and they came out to $6.00 each.

That's all for now, thanks for stopping by!

Best,
Sheila
Yarn tip:
When you purchase skeins from a yarn shop, ask them to wind them into cakes for you.  Then, they are ready to start your project when you are.

11 comments:

  1. How nice that you can go somewhere warm to get some relief from the chilly weather. Sounds like a great yarn store too. I love the mug - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already aching to go back! Thanks for the mug love!

      Delete
  2. That's a really good idea. I'm not a big cup cozy person. The knitting looks really cool on the mug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I should take a photo of a cup cozy and put the photo on a mug!!!!!

      Delete
  3. love the mug! Such an awesome creation to add to the mug to making it very unique though people might be sad they didn't get the pillow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I didn't think of that, but the pillow is well loved on out couch!

      Delete
  4. What a cool mug idea - love the way it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the mug! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how that mug turned out. What a great gift. The tour sounds great. I would love to visit one of his houses. That yarn looks like a fun knit too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving that Bluebell color way! And the knitting mug is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...