Sunday, March 15, 2015

Creating My Knitting Studio Part One


Some of you may know that my daughter graduated from college this past December.  She is working full time and moved out and into her own apartment this month.  I really thought I would be heartbroken, crying buckets of tears and so on.  To my surprise, I did not.  She is an only child and to keep from being overly possessive, I have been saying to myself these last 22 years.....
"you're training your replacement"!  

Really, isn't that what we are doing as parents?  And what is one of the first few words we teach them, as they are learning to talk?

Bye, bye!

Anyhoo, her bedroom is being transformed into my much needed, wanted and dreamed of knitting studio!

You can see in the top photo, the before.  A deep pink and to make the windows seem larger, I painted a border around them in white.  The room is on the small side so, no curtains, but white shutters.  She painted the flowers and leaves.  She was about 9 years old when we moved in this house.

And yes, that is a crystal chandelier!  I love them and have one in the master bedroom as well.  No ceiling fans for me!


She kept track of her height over the years on one of the closet walls.  Cute, but I did have to paint over it.


Here is the first coat of primer paint and we pulled up the blue carpet too.  We have left the carpet pad to protect the lovely hardwood floors underneath.  

I'm going to be painting it white.  Boring, I know, but I need good light for photos.  I take my own photos of all my items that I sell in my Etsy shop and good photos are a must for the patterns I sell too.  I like to have a white background.  I'll talk more about that in a future post.


So here is my daughter, her boyfriend and I celebrating on moving day with a glass of wine.  She lives in a 1920, 3 story walk-up.  In case you don't know, that is a 3 story building with no elevator!  Fine if you are in your 20's, but a killer for her dad and I!


I thought you might like to see some of the things she has bought at a few thrift stores in town.  An African like cat sort of creature.  It's a little side table made of wood.  I love it and well worth $10.00!


This is the broom cupboard in the kitchen.  We found a $4.00 white shelf and she put her coffee maker on it as it didn't fit under the cabinet on the kitchen counter.  She has her canned goods on the shelves now.


This black "leaf" she uses as a spoon rest on the stove.  We use alot of olive oil in our cooking being half Greek.  She keeps it in an old wine bottle with a pourer type of spout.  We found the Calphalon pans at a thrift store too.....$2.99 each!  


I found this mirrored cabinet at TJ Maxx,  on clearance for $30.00 (regular price $80.00).  She has it in her bathroom to store all the curling irons, hairdryer and makeup.


Tons of room!

This is an old storage ottoman of mine and she recovered it in fabric scraps and black faux fur that I had. I think it's just darling.  She keeps a few lightweight blankets in it.  Also serves as extra seating.

Well, that's it for now.  Thanks for stopping by.  I'll have more photos of my studio and Zoe's cute apartment next week.

Best,
Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...